Eagleswings

7.22.2006

Eating my words

I remember when I was younger and my mom and sister would fix bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwitches, I would declare in no uncertain terms that I would never go through all that work just to make one sandwitch. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed them, I just didn't think they were worth the work of toasting bread, frying bacon and slicing tomatoes. Well, I've had to eat my words. Tonight is the second time that I have made bacon, lettuce, and tomato sandwitches since I got pregnant. I claim that it is all due to my pregnancy cravings, but I must say that I enjoyed them immensely.

In conjunction with my cravings for BLTs I also had a craving for zucchini casserole today. This is my grandmother's recipe so I apologize for the approximate amounts. I usually just guess each time I make it. I also usually forget to put on the buttered bread crumbs and it still tastes wonderful.

Harvest Fresh Zucchini Casserole

1 med. zucchini, sliced
1 large tomato, diced
1 med. onion, diced
3 slices bacon, crumbled
cheddar cheese
butter
salt
buttered bread crumbs

Layer vegetables in a baking dish. Dot with butter and salt to taste. Sprinkle with bacon and cheese. Top with buttered bread crumbs. Bake covered at 400 deg. for 20 min. Uncover and bake for another 10 min.

Enjoy!

4 Comments:

  • ...sounds a little light on the bacon... mmmm ;-)

    By Blogger dlr, at 6:18 AM  

  • Hi Rachel,

    Hmmm. I've been fixing BLTs again, too. Not to mention that I made zuchini casserole for church dinner yesterday. You gotta love the tastes of summer.

    Love, Mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:41 AM  

  • yum, that zuch casserole sounds really good. :)

    we like BLTs, too, but have taken to baking the bacon in a roasting pan because it's faster and less mess.

    By Blogger greenemama, at 1:09 PM  

  • Yummy, I love BLT's...and I think I ate a lot of them when I was pregnant also :-)
    You'll find as you get a little older you'll eat more of your own words, wait till the baby comes :-)
    Haven't seen any posts lately hope all is well with you!

    By Blogger Eagles Wings, at 8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home